i love sugar cookies, but most sugar cookie recipes are complicated and require refrigerating the dough, and ingredients, like buttermilk, that most of us don’t readily have on hand. I have found a very simple sugar cookie recipe on the web that is so easy to make that even young kids can measure and make with little supervision. Often times, my cookie dough sticks. This doesn’t happy with this dough. Actually, my cookies depend on my attitude if I’m tired or not. However, to have little hands helping me and eating the cookies helps to make this baking enjoyable. This, also, can be made into an annual family Christmas event.
SIMPLE SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
1 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Preheat OVEN to 400°
Simple Sugar Cookie Recipe
1. In large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract, until blended.
2. Add Flour and baking powder and mix well.
3. Once mixed you can choose what shape you want your Simple Sugar Cookies to be. To make traditional round sugar cookies, scoop out teaspoons full of dough, roll into small balls and flatten with fork to about 1/4″ thickness. Little ones can help with this. Actually this is an easy recipe to let your older children make their cookies. The whole family can pitch in and help with this while the Christmas songs are playing. If it’s cold, prepare some Hot Chocolate and eat those freshly baked cookies. Hmm, good.
4. Sprinkle lightly with sugar or colored sprinkles for fun. This is where children come in handy. Let them sprinkle the sugar. The decorating doesn’t have to be to our perfection.
5. Bake 7-8 minutes until just starting to brown around the edges.
6. The dough can also be rolled out to use cookie cutters. This is a great way to make Christmas cookies. The whole family can cut the cookies and sprinkle the cookies as well.
Use Alphabet cookie cutters to make edible educational cookies for school.
7. These Simple Sugar Cookies are great with or without frosting.
8. Food coloring can be added to the dough before cooking to make sugar cookies of all colors.
9. This recipe doubles and triples well, so you can make dozens of Simple Sugar Cookies with ease.
10. This recipe without alterations will make about 3 dozen soft, delicious Simple Sugar Cookies. Enjoy! I can picture the little children proudly placing their cookies on a plate with a cup of milk for Santa when he comes in. Yes, though I was Christian, I let my children believe in Santa. To me, there is nothing wrong with this. The imagination, the magic of Christmas I believed was important to them. Of course, I taught them about the birth of baby Jesus. We always had a manager scene in our home. When they become older we read the Christmas story on Christmas. HAPPY BAKING!